About KNUST Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
he Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, established in 1953 is the oldest in the country. In addition to the Pharmacy programme, the Faculty also offers programmes leading to the award of BSc degree in Herbal Medicine. All Departments in the Faculty offer postgraduate programmes leading to higher degrees in disciplines like Pharmacognosy, General Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Microbiology, Pharmacology, Clinical Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Quality Control and Pharmaceutical Analysis. The Faculty continues to be an active partner with the Ministry of Health by rendering services to its agencies like the Food and Drugs Board, Ghana National Drugs Programme and the Centre for Scientific Research into Plant Medicines, Akuapem-Mampong. Several members of the Faculty serve on statutory committees of the KNUST.
The introduction of pharmacy practice in the Gold Coast (now Ghana) in the 1930 was associated with the development of western-type medical services in this country. Generally, pharmacy has undergone tremendous changes both in concept and practice; the major changes resulting in emphasis on patience-oriented interaction rather than former patient-medication interaction.
Pharmacy, as a science based profession, is driven by research and training. Under Act 64 of the Parliament of the Republic of Ghana, the general responsibility for the approval of the course of study and vocational training of students had, since 1961, been vested in the Pharmacy Board.
The responsibility was transferred to the Pharmacy Council which was established under Act 489 of the Parliamnet of the 4th Republic in 1994. However, the pre-registration instruction of students in the pharmaceutical sciences has been ceded to the Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences KNUST. This places an onerous responsibility on the Faculty as the only institution currently in Ghana for the training of pharmacists.
Faculty of Pharmacy, now faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences was established in January 1953 as one of the departments of the then Kumasi College of Technology (now the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology). Its pioneer students were transferred to the College from the then School of Pharmacy at the Korle Bu Hospital in Accra. The Department ran a two year comprehensive course in Pharmacy, leading to the award of the Pharmacy Board Certificate.
The Department was turned into a Faculty when the Kumasi College of Technology attained a full University status in November, 1961, awarding its own degrees from June 1964. There are six departments in the Faculty Nmely; the Department of Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmacognosy, Pharmacology, Clinical and Social Pharmacy and Herbal Medicine.