Academic Mobility for Africans Sustainable Scholarships for MSc and PhD in Ethiopia, 2018-2019
Applications are invited for scholarships for MSc and PhD in Railway Engineering at Addis Ababa University for the 2018-2019 academic year. African Railway Center of Excellence (ARCE) is one of the African Center of Excellence II projects supported by the World Bank.
The aim of the centre is to strengthen railway professionals’ development through short-term training, MSc and PhD level education, and research in Ethiopia and the region at large.
Addis Ababa University (AAU), which was established in 1950 as the University College of Addis Ababa (UCAA), is the oldest and the largest higher learning and research institution in Ethiopia. Since its inception, the University has been the leading centre in teaching-learning, research and community services.
- Applications Deadline: July 5, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue PhD and MSc programmes.
- Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in the field of Railway Engineering specializing in “Civil Infrastructure”, “Rolling Stock” and “Traction and Train Control” for the 2018/19 academic year.
- Scholarship Award:
- Type A. Full Scholarship: Covers monthly stipend (USD800 for PhD students and USD600 for MSc students), tuition fee, health insurance and
- Type B. Half Scholarship: Covers monthly stipend (USD400 for PhD and USD350 for MSc) and tuition fee.
- Type C. Part Timer Scholarship: Covers tuition fee only.
- Type D. Self-Sponsored Students: Student should cover all the expenses.
- Nationality: Available to citizens of African countries.
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given
- Scholarship can be taken in Ethiopia
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Available to citizens of African countries.
Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants have to:-
- Have completed their last degree less than six years ago during the time of application
- Be Citizens of African countries
- For MSc applicants: Applicants should have Bachelor’s degree qualification with at least a CGPA of 3.00/4.00 for males and 2.5/4.00 for females (grading shall be converted to 4.00 scales).
- For PhD applicants: Applicants should have MSc degree qualification with at least a CGPA of 3.50 for males and 3.25 for females (grading shall be converted to 4.00 scales).
- The applicant should write a personal statement/motivation letter describing the candidate`s interest to join the program.
- The applicant should have two letters of recommendations of advisors/ supervisors from previous educational institutions.
- PhD applicants should submit the research proposal including a detailed work plan.
- Female candidates and candidates from underprivileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: The applicants should submit their document in a single pdf file through email address; (please send your documents to both addresses). The application will only be complete if the following documents are submitted.
- Filled ARCE 2018/2019 Scholarship form
- Signed curriculum vitae scanned in PDF; please use the Europass CV template
- Scanned copies of all university degree certificates
- Scanned copies of all university transcripts
- Letter of motivation (Maximum 2 pages)
- The academic reference from senior lecturer and proof of employment if applicable (scanned copy)
- All the documents listed above should be scanned in a single PDF document. Applications submitted separately will be considered incomplete.